Dean International
Flight School

Canadian CPL Requirements


Welcome to Dean International’s flight training webpage for Canadian Students.

At Dean International we’ve worked with students from around the world helping to build their careers as commercial pilots. We understand the challenges students face learning the initial flight licenses all while living in a foreign country. That is why we have customized our programs to meet your needs:

  • Finish quickly: with our large fleet of over 40 aircraft, we have the capacity to have you finish in under 8 months
  • Competitive prices: because of the large size of our school, we can offer you some of the lowest prices on the market
  • Safety is our number one priority. We prepare our students for emergency situations, and teach them to abide by the FAA's regulations.
  • Location: because of the ideal weather in Miami, FL you can train year-round
  • Need help with English? We offer English training programs.
  • Housing and transportation is provided as an option

Study Materials

You may purchase study materials for both the RT and FAA-CA exams online at The purchase cost for the study materials is $120.

The estimated expense for the trip, in its entirety, will be approximately $500 for one traveller. The price may vary depending on the number of people traveling together.

Obtaining the Canadian Radiotelephony
and Commercial Licenses

STEP 1: Obtaining a Canadian Visa

In order to obtain the Canadian RT and Commercial Licenses, you must first obtain a Canadian Visa. The steps to obtain a Canadian Visa are as follows:

  1. You must visit the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, NY. (There is one Canadian Consulate in Miami, but it does not provide immigration services.)
  2. For the single-entry visa, you will need to pay $70 in cash (exact change only).
  3. For the multiple-entry visa, you will need to pay $135 in cash (exact change only).

The documents required to be shown at the Consulate are as follows:

  1. Your passport
  2. A copy of your I-94
  3. An I-20 form with the third page signed by the school authority
  4. An invitation letter from the flying school for the RT
  5. A statement of the funds in your account
  6. Exact change of $70/$135 for the visa

The Consulate's address and telephone number are:

1 HSBC Center
Buffalo, NY 14203
(716) 858-9500

STEP 2: Taking the Radiotelephony (RT) Exam

When you arrive in Canada, you will first take the RT exam. You may take the exam at St. Catherine's Flying Club in Ontario, Canada. The exam fee is $20.

The address for the flying club is given below:

St. Catherine's Flying Club
R.R #4 Niagara District Airport
Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario L0S 1J0

STEP 3: Taking the FAA-CA Conversion Exam

Your last step in Canada will be the FAA-CA conversion exam, which can be taken at Hamilton International Airport. The exam consists of 20 Air Law questions. Each question is worth 5 points. You will need to score a minimum of 60% (12 questions answered correctly) in order to pass the exam. If you are unable to pass the exam, there will be a 14-day waiting period before you can retake the exam. If you would like to request to take the exam within the 14-day waiting period, you must email an early-reattempt request to

The fee for the written exam is $35 CAD, and the fee for shipping the license to your home is an additional $80 CAD. You must have your permanent FAA Commercial Pilot License with you at the time of examination. If you do not have your permanent license, you may ask for more details at

The testing center's contact information is as follows:

Civil Aviation, Ontario Region
Hamilton Transport Canada Centre
9300 Airport Road, Unit 450
Mount Hope, Ontario L0R1W0
(905) 679-3477
Visit Website

Design by Ariel Llizo
© Dean International Inc. 2012